We’ve all been there. We thought it couldn’t ever happen to us, but we forgot a password. The password, the one of your Gmail account. While it’s good practice to change passwords constantly, it’s easy to forget the last password you changed.
Luckily, you can go through a validation process to retrieve your Gmail password.
Recover your forgotten password
- The first thing to do it to click on Forgot password? on the login page.
- You might be asked to insert your email address again and write the last password you remember. This helps Google understand that it’s actually you that is trying to recover your password.
- You will be asked some questions to find out if you’re actually the owner of this account. Try to respond as faithfully as you can.
- If you can’t answer to a question, click on Try another way to move on. You might be asked to write your email to be contacted later if you can’t answer any question.
At the end of this process you should be able to confirm your identity and obtain a password reset. Make sure to save your new password in a safe place.
What do I need to recover my forgotten password?
Prevention is better than cure, so here are some things that you’ll likely need in case you forget your password.
- Any previous password. If you remember a previous password used for your account, it will surely help.
- Ability to receive a verification code. For example, when you create or edit your Gmail account, you have the possibility to add a secondary email address. You can also receive an SMS message from Google with a verification code.
- Security questions. Make sure to set them up correctly and not write random answers, as you might need them in case you forget your password.
- Account creation date. Remembering the month and year when you created your Gmail account can be very useful, so write it down!
How can I remember my password?
Instead of using the same password on multiple website, and trying to remember passwords, we highly recommend using something like 1Password to generate strong passwords and store them safely.
That’s it, we hope that’s everything you need!